Major cities including Berlin, London and New York stepped up security around Hanukkah events on Sunday following a deadly attack on a Jewish holiday celebration at Sydney’s Bondi Beach, which Australian authorities have described as a targeted antisemitic assault.
In Germany, Berlin police said security measures were being intensified around the Brandenburg Gate, where a large electric menorah is being lit to mark the first night of Hanukkah. A police spokesperson said comprehensive security had already been planned for the event, but additional measures and a stronger police presence would be maintained in light of the Sydney attack. The Berlin event will also include a prayer for the victims.
Germany has long maintained heightened security for Jewish institutions due to its historical responsibility stemming from the Nazi Holocaust. Police said extra measures would remain in place throughout the Hanukkah period.
In the United States, New York Mayor Eric Adams said additional protection was being deployed for Hanukkah celebrations and synagogues across New York City. In a post on X, Adams said authorities would ensure the Jewish community could observe the holiday safely, including at public menorah lightings, while urging unity against hatred and prayers for the injured.
Poland also announced increased security. Armed protection was doubled at Warsaw’s main synagogue for its Sunday evening event, while Polish police said preventive measures were being strengthened around diplomatic missions, places of worship and institutions linked to Israel and Palestine due to the geopolitical situation and the Sydney attack.
Read More: 16 dead in Sydney antisemitic attack as police identify father-son shooters
In the United Kingdom, London’s Metropolitan Police said it had increased security and police presence around Jewish areas and events, though it declined to provide operational details. The force said there was no information suggesting a direct link between the Sydney attack and any threat in London, but added that officers were engaging with the Jewish community to assess further needs.
France also moved to reinforce security, with Interior Minister Laurent Nunez instructing local authorities to strengthen protection around Jewish places of worship from December 14 to 22. The directive called for increased deployment of security forces and heightened vigilance around religious services and public gatherings that attract large crowds.
